The nights are getting colder but Sydney’s arts and events scene is hotting up. Vivid LIVE’s Festival Director Fergus Linehan gives us his festival highlights.
For those not in the know, what is Vivid LIVE?
Vivid LIVE is a 10 day celebration of contemporary music held at Sydney Opera House and is part of Vivid Sydney, the city’s annual festival of light, music and ideas that transforms Sydney in winter.
What is it about Vivid LIVE that makes it a must for Sydneysiders and visitors alike?
Vivid LIVE and Vivid Sydney really bring the city alive in winter with a vibrancy and electricity you think only possible in summer.
Vivid LIVE reinvents itself each year with a new line-up and a new vision so no two years are ever the same. The line-up features Australian and world premieres, special commissions and one-off performances, making it a truly unique festival experience.
The ‘Lighting The Sails’ can only be seen to be believed and this year we have German collective URBANSCREEN using the latest 3D mapping technology to project onto the sails.
What are the big events on the program we should be locking in our diary?
Some events like Florence + The Machine and The Temper Trap have sold out but there is still plenty to see:
Karen O in Stop The Virgens – Straight from New York, this is certainly one of the highlights of our 2012 Vivid LIVE program.
Bryce Dessner/Nico Muhly/Sufjan Stevens – A special collaboration from Sufjan Stevens who Sydneysiders will know from the Sydney Festival, The National’s Bryce Dessner and composer Nico Muhly. The show premiered to great acclaim at London’s Barbican in April this year.
Janelle Monáe – She’s been declared the heir to Prince and Stevie Wonder.
My Brightest Diamond – Shara Worden will perform a full concert version of her third album All Things Will Unwind in the Opera Theatre.
Club Nights in the Studio – Some of our finest music taste-makers are transforming the Studio and western foyers in a series of themed club nights.
What free events can we look forward to?
• Lighting the Sails – It’s a must.
• Vivid LIVE festival bar – Regardless of whether you have a ticket to something or not, it’s great to just head down to the Western foyers with your friends and soak up the festival vibe.
• Light walk around Circular Quay and The Rocks – Vivid Sydney has over 50 light sculptures, projections and immersive installations and there’s a real buzz around the precinct.
1. Go see the Sydney Swans at the SCG – they’re on form this season!
2. Catch a theatre production by one of Australia’s young theatre makers – there’s real excitement and energy in the theatre scene right now.
3. Brunch in the fish markets on Saturday morning – so delicious, so cheap.
4. The world’s best Sunday lunch at Sean’s Panorama in Bondi.
5. Go along to GoodGod Small Club on Liverpool Street. Get there late and prepare to get sweaty.
Featured image: Lighting The Sails SUPERBIEN Photo: James Morgan